Purpose of study
- Maths is taught across Norton St Nicholas to ensure that children have a good understanding of number in their everyday lives and to prepare themselves for their future.
- It supports children in developing their number knowledge and reasoning skills.
- We teach a full curriculum that is essential to our pupils’ everyday life and critical to science, technology and engineering.
- Our high-quality mathematics provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
When children leave Norton St Nicholas they will:
- Be successful and fluent mathematicians.
- Have developed an interest in maths.
- Be able to use their sound knowledge of maths to relate to everyday scenarios and experiences.
- Have a deep understanding of number.
- Be able to calculate efficiently and use a range of methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Be able to talk about their mathematical learning, using correct vocabulary and terminology.
- At Norton St Nicholas School, we teach the statutory maths curriculum for key stage 1 and 2 using NCETM Maths Mastery.
- NCETM Maths Mastery follows a clear path of progression with a great emphasis on having a deep understating of number and being able to reason mathematical pathways.
- The learning sequences ensure that there is a high expectation for learning and applying mathematical knowledge and skills.
- There is also a consistent use of the same representations across year groups help to connect prior learning to new learning such as use of tens frames, cherry method etc.
- In short, our teaching is about ensuring children really understand the subject as a whole and can explain their reasons and justify their mathematical knowledge and choices.