Purpose of study
- Learning French allows pupils at Norton St Nicholas School an opportunity to foster and deepen their understanding of the world,
- All pupils will be given the opportunity to express their ideas and thoughts in French and to understand and respond to its speakers, both in speech and in writing,
- There will be opportunities for pupils to communicate for practical purposes,
- Learning French will provide the foundation for learning further languages
When children leave Norton St Nicholas they will;
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of writing in the language studied.
At Norton St Nicholas we use Language Angels to support the teaching of French across Key Stage 2. This resource is designed by foreign language teaching specialists and enables our pupils to cover a wide variety of topics with all instances of French language pre-recorded by a native speaker. This supports our teachers in delivering high-quality French lessons.
Across Key Stage 2, our pupils will learn through the following units: